Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Sucanat
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil (cooled)
- Combine the flour, buttermilk, and pumpkin puree together in a medium bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 12 to 24 hours in a warm location.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F and grease a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl mix together salt, baking soda, baking powder, Sucanat, and pumpkin pie spice with a fork. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the butter or oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the soaked dough and mix until about halfway combined. Sprinkle over the dry ingredients and mix in until completely combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with the batter. Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool before serving.
Ready to learn more?