Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Soaked Flour Whole Wheat Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
A delicious recipe for a cool fall day. Soak the flour overnight and bake. Serve for dessert or brunch for a special treat.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached sifted white flour
- ⅔ cup Sucanat or other whole sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- ⅓ cup lard
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup cultured buttermilk
- 4 small red apples, skinned, cored and chopped fine
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup rapadura or other whole sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup honey
- Soak whole wheat flour in cultured buttermilk overnight, covered and in a warm place.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375ºF.
- To the soaked flour, add Sucanut, vanilla, egg yolk, lard, baking powder, and sea salt. Blend thoroughly.
- Fold in apples.
- If batter is thinner than cake batter, add the sifted unbleached white flour until it is the right consistency.
- Beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold it into the batter.
- Butter a small loaf pan. Pour in cake batter and bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While bread is baking, make the caramel sauce:
- Bring all ingredients to a steady rolling boil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Keep at a steady boil for 2 minutes. Stir continually to prevent burning.
- Remove sauce from heat, continuing to stir until it stops boiling. Cool for 5 minutes.
Once cake is ready, remove from oven and cool for 3 minutes before drizzling it with the caramel. Serve warm.
Ready for More Fall Recipes?