Vegan Raw Almond Milk Yogurt
This recipe is based on making homemade raw almond milk, instead of commercial brands of milk. If using store-bought almond milk, look for the brand with as few additives as possible.
Some commercial brands contain added calcium. If the milk thickens in the blender when pectin is added, do not use calcium water. Doing so can result in overly thickened yogurt.
- Measure 1 cup of almond milk and add pectin powder. Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, slowly heat the remaining almond milk, with the calcium water added, to 140ºF.
- Add reserved almond milk/pectin mixture. Return to 140ºF. Remove from heat.
- Cool to 110ºF. Sprinkle vegan yogurt starter over the milk and stir well.
- Pour into a clean 1-quart glass jar and cover with a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band, or pour into yogurt maker container and follow manufacturer's instructions for covering the containers.
- Incubate for 6-8 hours at 105º-112ºF. The longer the yogurt incubates, the tangier it will be.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
NOTE: To make 2 quarts non-dairy yogurt, use 3-4 teaspoons pectin powder, and 3-4 teaspoons calcium water with 1 packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter.
*Each box of Pomona's Universal Pectin includes pectin and a separate packet of monocalcium phosphate.