What could be better on a cold morning than a warm-from-the-oven sourdough muffin? Use this basic recipe as a canvas for various flavorings from fruit, nuts, or even chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup sugar (evaporated cane juice, Sucanat, or a similar dry sweetener)
- 1/2 cup add-ins such as fruit or nuts (optional)
- The night before gently mix together starter and flour until just combined. Allow to ferment for 8 to 12 hours.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375°F and whisk in all other ingredients, being careful not to mix too much.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full with batter and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Ready to Learn More?