This simple, delicious Thai recipe can be made using your very own homemade tempeh.
- 2 teaspoons coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallot or red onion
- 12 ounces tempeh, sliced into bite-sized cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons panang curry paste*
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, preferably with full fat
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves*, chopped roughly
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add garlic and onion and heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the tempeh, curry paste, and coconut milk, stirring well to dissolve. Simmer at high heat for about 5 minutes to slightly reduce mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil for at least 3 minutes.
Serve curry over rice in shallow, wide bowls topped with green onions, cilantro, and basil leaves.
*Panang curry paste and Thai basil usually can be found in Asian food markets or specialty grocery stores. Substitute sweet basil if Thai is not available.