Ischia sourdough tends to be more tart than our other sourdough starter cultures. Originating on the island of Ischia off the Gulf of Naples, Italy, it is a great choice for sandwich bread. For best results, we recommend feeding your sourdough starter weekly.
This sourdough starter is available as a dried culture. Dried sourdough starters are shelf stable and do not have to be fed or cared for immediately. Dried sourdough starters can be ready to create baked goods within 3-5 days.
Detailed instructions will be included with your order. Click here to view our Ischia Sourdough Starter instructions.
Questions on Ischia Sourdough Starter
- From Pg709 at 9/8/12 9:25 PM
- From Aislinn at 5/9/13 1:00 AM
- The description says this is shelf-stable, but I got a "perishable" alert when I ordered. Does this need to be kept in the fridge until use?
- The sourdough starters are dried for safe shipping and can be stored at room temperature for 3 to 4 weeks. We recommend freezing the starters to extend the shelf life to about 12 months.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
- Excellent sandwich loaf Review by Travis W
Quality Price Value
Starter cultures, rennet for cheese making and cultured vegetables, juices and condiments are sensitive to excessive heat. Once your order has shipped, an e-mail with tracking information will be sent to you. We encourage you to use the tracking information to anticipate the arrival of your items so they can be removed from the mail box and stored in the refrigerator promptly.