This basic recipe works with the characteristics of sprouted wheat without getting too complicated. Because active yeast is utilized, fresh, warm bread is available in your kitchen within just a few hours!
- 6 ½ cup sprouted wheat flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 3 ¼ cups warm water (not hot), divided
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or butter, cooled
- ¼ cup honey, warmed until pourable
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 teaspoons active yeast, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, and ¼ cup of the warm water. Allow to proof for five minutes or until active and bubbly.
- Add the sprouted wheat flour to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients until well combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry using a wooden spoon or a stand mixer and then add in the yeast mixture. Mix until the dough is completely hydrated but don’t worry at this point about it being soft or well-kneaded.
- Cover the dough and allow to autolyze or rest for 30 minutes. After this resting period, sprinkle the salt over the dough and mix in using mixer, wooden spoon, or clean hands.
- Flour a clean work surface with additional sprouted flour. Transfer the dough onto this work surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. Add flour as necessary until dough strong and flexible. Alternatively, knead in a stand mixer for approximately 8 minutes. Form the dough into a smooth ball.
- Oil a large bowl. Place the dough smooth side down in the bowl. Roll the dough around to grease the smooth side and then flip this side up. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm space for 1-2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Grease two baking pans and set aside. Punch down the dough and divide it into two even pieces. Roll one piece of dough into a rectangle. Roll this from one side to the other, creating a loaf shape. Pinch the seams of the dough and transfer to the prepared bread pan, seam side down. Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Cover the pans and allow the bread to rise again until doubled in the pan, approximately 1 hour, depending on the temperature of the room. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Once risen, remove the towel or plastic wrap from the loaves and place them in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the loaves reach an internal temperature of 190 degrees.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Ready to Learn More?