This chutney is bold and spicy, and goes great on bagels with cream cheese for a deliciously cultured morning meal.
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, shredded
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Filtered water
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine carrots, cranberries, pecans, cloves, ginger root, sugar, and salt. Stir, pound and smash with a wooden spoon to get the juices flowing, and then cover the bowl and leave for about 30 minutes on the counter.
- Transfer the chutney to a clean quart jar, using a wooden spoon to pack it in and to release any air bubbles in the jar. Add water if needed to bring the liquid level up to 1 inch below the rim of the jar.
- Cover and ferment at room temperature for 3-5 days, checking the chutney daily and adding water if needed.
- Transfer to cold storage. Will keep several weeks, covered in the refrigerator.
Ready to Learn More?