The best tofu in the world is homemade tofu! Make your own delicious tofu with the Mitoku Home Tofu Kit. Handcrafted from the finest Japanese cypress wood, this kit has enough nigari to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu. One of the hidden benefits in making your own tofu is "okara," the solids that are left after the soy milk has been strained off. It is a very nutritious, high-fiber food, containing a significant amount of the protein content of the soybeans. Okara can be used for croquettes, fritters, okara crepes, vinegared or sauteed okara, or okara breads and muffins. And of course you'll have fresh tofu to simmer, grill, deep-fry, make tofu burgers and cutlets; tofu sauces, spreads, dips & dressings; chilled tofu shakes, smoothies, creams, and puddings.
- Handcrafted tofu box made from the finest Japanese cypress wood
- Wooden lid
- 100% cotton straining bag and pressing cloth
- 12 nigari packs (12.5ml liquid nigari in each pack): enough to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu
- Full English instructions
- Measures 6-1/2" length x 4 -3/4" width x 3-1/2" height
The beauty and fragrance of Japanese cypress wood or hinoki has been highly appreciated for centuries for its subtle fragrance, as well as for the beautiful appearance of the wood's natural grain. The distinctive aroma of Japanese cypress derives from a naturally occurring substance in the resin known in Japanese as "hinoki-jushi." This not only has a pleasing, refreshing aroma, but also has been recognized as possessing excellent natural antibiotic properties. Thus Japanese cypress has been used for many centuries in making all kinds of kitchen utensils, as well as drinking cups, an oke (Hinoki wooden pail), and even Japanese hot-tub-style baths.
Questions on Mitoku Home Tofu Kit
- From Lena at 2/20/2014 1:10 PM
- From hana at 12/10/2013 11:29 PM
- From Cheryl at 4/12/2013 12:16 PM
- Do I soak the tofu press in hot water and rice vinegar OVERNIGHT before its initial use?
- Yes; that will condition the wood and make sure it's clean. However, it's not essential - so if you have your soy milk all ready to strain and you forgot to season the press, it will still work. The soy milk will be wrapped in muslin anyway.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Adam at 7/1/2012 10:41 AM
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
- Good Review by Frank
Price Value Quality
The packaging is great. The product is well made. The instructions are a problem. Of the four times I tried to make tofu only one turned out. That was after a call to your customer service. She suggested that I double up on the coagulator. That worked only once. Better instructions and a video would nice.
Note from CFH: Please contact customer support for troubleshooting advice before discarding product. Many starters can be saved with minor adjustments.
(Posted on 5/5/2014)
- Tasty Review by Dawang
Price Value Quality
Easy to use!
(Posted on 3/3/2014)
- Mitoku Home Tofu Kit Review by Silkweaver
Price Value Quality
I would have ordered this years ago if I had known it would be this easy to make tofu. Now I have fresh, organic tofu anytime I want it.
(Posted on 11/5/2013)
- email@example.com Review by Brett Leone
Value Quality Price
It is a bit pricy but that likely has to do with import costs. The wood and straining materials are strong and well crafted. Overall I am pleased with this item however the instructions given are not so good first they go only by grams which takes a little trouble/research to convert 500g of Soybeans = roughly 3 Cups. I also advise to halve the recipe they provide and divide that when pureeing the soy beans. Overall just buy a tofu cook book and use the recipe and suggestions from the book which are more substantial and can help you troubleshoot if you have problems. I have and recommend "The Book of Tofu and Miso" which also provides recipes for the byproducts of making the tofu too.
(Posted on 1/10/2012)