- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rapadura, Sucanat, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted) or sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup milk (can substitute coconut milk)
Note: Depending on the hydration level (consistency) of your sourdough starter, a little more or less flour may be needed to achieve a waffle batter consistency.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl beat the egg then mix in the sourdough, oil, and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add flour if necessary to thicken, or milk to thin. Do not over-mix!
- Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of batter on the waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
Makes about 4 servings.