These biscuits are a twist on the wheat biscuit, both in flavor and in texture. Rich, nutty, and delicious, these biscuits are wonderful with honey and butter. Use gluten-free oat flour if you are sensitive to gluten.
- 3 cups oat flour, gluten-free if necessary
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk, kefir, or yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cut cold butter into oat flour. Mix in brown rice sourdough starter and then add in milk a little bit at a time until a stiff dough starts to form. Once dough is stiff but pulls together, cover and let sour for 8 to 18 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F. Mix salt and baking powder in a small bowl and sprinkle over soured dough. Knead for a couple of minutes, adding oat flour as needed to keep the dough from being too sticky.
- Once everything is well-incorporated, flour a clean surface and pat dough out into a large rectangle 3/4-inch high. Use a biscuit cutter or sharp knife to cut into biscuits. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on the bottom and firm on top.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.