Sourdough Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cake
A perfect holiday treat, this sourdough coffee cake recipe will satisfy all your guests, for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups unbleached white or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup thick buttermilk or sour cream
- ¾ cup whole cane sugar (rapadura or Sucanat)
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Butter a 9x13-inch glass baking dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix pecan topping ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, stir honey and butter together until well blended. Stir in vanilla, sourdough starter, milk, and eggs.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer, stir flour into sourdough mixture alternately with sour cream until the batter is smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Cover with remaining half of batter and sprinkle remaining topping over top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm or cold, with or without whipped cream.
Ready for More Sourdough Recipes?