Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 1 cup rapadura or Sucanat
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 cups organic chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter, coconut oil/shortening, and eggs.
- Mix in the sourdough starter and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients. (Careful not to over-mix!) Incorporate the chocolate chips.
- Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes. Shape the dough into small balls (2 teaspoonfuls per cookie). Flatten and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes approximately 4 dozen small cookies.