Everyone loves brownies! These use a sourdough starter for extra chewiness and volume.
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sourdough starter
Note: Depending on the hydration level of your sourdough starter, a little more or less flour may be needed to achieve a brownie batter consistency.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over a medium heat. Pour in the hot water and combine thoroughly. Stir in the baking soda until the mixture is foamy. Set aside and allow to cool until lukewarm. (It is important the mixture not be too hot.)
- Cream together the butter (or coconut oil) and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add the vanilla, chocolate mixture, and nuts.
- Gently add the flour and salt.
- Add the sourdough starter. Mix to combine but do not over-mix!
- Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Allow the batter to rise in a warm spot (70° to 85°F) for approximately 1/2 hour.
- Bake brownies at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.