Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Sourdough Applesauce Cake
This cake is sweet enough for dessert, but not too sweet to serve as a breakfast coffee cake. Thick homemade applesauce is preferable, but any applesauce will make a nice cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup rapadura or other whole cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferably soaked and dried)
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking pan by greasing sides and bottom well.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until well mixed. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla, sourdough starter, and applesauce; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to sourdough mixture, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until top springs back when pressed lightly or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting or serve plain.
Easy Cream Cheese Icing:
Beat ingredients together and spread on cooled cake.
Ready for More Sourdough Dessert Recipes?