Sourdough Applesauce Cake
This cake is sweet enough for dessert, but not too sweet to serve as a breakfast coffee cake. Thick homemade applesauce is preferable, but any applesauce will make a nice cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup rapadura or other whole cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferably soaked and dried)
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking pan by greasing sides and bottom well.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until well mixed. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla, sourdough starter, and applesauce; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to sourdough mixture, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until top springs back when pressed lightly or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting or serve plain.
Easy Cream Cheese Icing:
Beat ingredients together and spread on cooled cake.
Ready for More Sourdough Dessert Recipes?