Sourdough Applesauce Cake
This cake is sweet enough for dessert, but not too sweet to serve as a breakfast coffee cake. Thick homemade applesauce is preferable, but you may use any applesauce you have on hand.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened plus additional butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup rapadura or other whole cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sprouted grain flour or unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferably soaked and dried)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking pan by buttering sides and bottom well. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, measure dry ingredients together, except nuts and raisins.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until well mixed. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla, sourdough starter, and applesauce; mix well.
- Add flour to sourdough mixture, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until top springs back when pressed lightly or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and frost with a cream cheese icing or serve plain.
Easy Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 cup cream cheese (or one 8-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
Beat ingredients together and spread on cooled cake.
Ready to Learn More?