Fritters are a sort of filled donut, where a vegetable or fruit is encapsulated in batter with sweet or savory seasonings and then fried until golden in delicious fat.
These sweet apple fritters are spiced with cinnamon and studded generously with fresh apples. Make them for breakfast and serve with yogurt, kefir, or sour cream.
- 3 cups diced apples (preferably a firm variety such as granny smith)
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 cups coconut oil, lard, or tallow for frying
- Place diced apples in a large bowl. Pour in sourdough starter slowly, mixing it into the diced apples as you go. The starter should envelop the apples but still remain thick. If this hasn’t yet been achieved add a bit more sourdough starter.
- Sprinkle in salt, cinnamon, and baking soda, and mix to combine. Allow mixture to rise a bit while heating the fat in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Gently drop large tablespoons of batter into fat. Fry for approximately 3 minutes per side until golden. Flip and fry another 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Ready for More Recipes Using Sourdough?