Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Sourdough Apple Butter Muffins
These muffins are sure to be a lunchbox favorite. With whole-grain goodness and a hint of sweetness they make up quickly if you have fresh sourdough starter on hand.
- ½ cup fresh sourdough starter
- ½ cup apple butter
- ½ cup fresh, whole milk or non-dairy alternative
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1½ cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Line 12 to 14 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix sourdough starter, apple butter, and milk in a large bowl. Stir in honey, egg, and melted butter.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Pour over sourdough mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in chopped nuts. Do not over-mix.
- Fill prepared muffin cups ⅔ full. Bake 20-25 minutes, until tops are firm and golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with butter and additional apple butter for spreading. These are best served the same day they are made, but they freeze well for longer storage.
Ready for More Muffin Recipes?