This cake is a breeze to make in a last minute dessert dash, and it goes superbly with a scoop of ice cream, or Chèvre and Cream Cheese Cupcake Frosting for a rich, tangy, cultured dessert.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup lard or butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup room-temperature water
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch glass baking pan and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a slightly larger bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk to mix well.
- Begin folding the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ones, a little at a time, mixing with the whisk after each addition, until everything is fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the buttered, floured baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 15 to 20 minutes before frosting.
Ready to Learn More?