- 2¼ cups sifted flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or lard
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup sour cream
- Lard or neutral-flavored oil, for frying
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Beat butter and sugar together until well-mixed. Add egg yolks and mix until blended.
- Add dry ingredients and sour cream alternately to the butter mixture, ending with flour, and mixing well between additions. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover bowl and chill for 1 hour.
- On a floured board or table, roll the chilled dough out to about ½ inch thick. Use a doughnut cutter or two differently sized biscuit cutters to cut out the doughnuts, dusting the cutters in flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Pour the lard or oil into a heavy-bottomed pot to at least 2 inches deep. Heat oil to 325°F.
- Add the donuts to the heated fat a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry on each side about 2 minutes, but watch to make sure they don’t burn. Remove from pan and drain.
- Dust the warm doughnuts in cinnamon sugar or sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Cool before serving.
Ready for More Delcious Recipes Using Sour Cream?