Soaked Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups cultured buttermilk, yogurt, or milk kefir
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1½ cups blueberries
- Soak whole wheat flour in the cultured dairy in a large bowl, covered, for 12 hours or overnight. (Soaking for 24 hours yields fluffier muffins.)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Drain off any extra liquid from soaked flour and mix in eggs, sea salt, honey, baking soda, vanilla extract, and butter. Mix until just blended, then fold in blueberries.
- Fill well-oiled muffin tins about ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 1 hour. The muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes 12-15 muffins.
Ready for More Muffin Recipes?