Soaked Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups cultured dairy such as cultured buttermilk, yogurt, or dairy kefir
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1-1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Soak the whole wheat flour in the cultured dairy in a large bowl, covered, for twelve hours or overnight. (If you can soak the wheat for 24 hours the muffins will be fluffier.)
- Drain off any extra liquid from the soaked flour and mix in the eggs, sea salt, honey, baking soda, vanilla extract, and butter. Mix until just blended then fold in the blueberries.
- Fill well-oiled muffin tins about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for about 1 hour. Test with toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean when the muffins are ready. Makes about 12 to 15 muffins.
Ready to learn more?