English scones are an unforgettable treat and nothing like the American scones sold at so many large-scale coffee shops.
Try this simple recipe using cultured kefir for an extra-tender crumb to your very British scones.
- 2 cups flour (soft wheat or spelt is best)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk kefir
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into chunks and cut into flour using fingers or a pastry cutter until the size of small peas.
- Add sugar and slowly mix in kefir until a dough forms. The dough should just hold together and not be too sticky. Knead briefly to bring the dough together and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out into a 1½-inch thick round or rectangle. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut out the scones and transfer to a baking sheet. Knead together scraps and cut into more scones until all of the dough is used up.
- Bake 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and serve warm with cultured butter, clotted or whipped cream, and jam.
Looking For More Ways to Use Milk Kefir?