Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Simple Milk Kefir Yeast Bread
Kefir contains various strains of yeast. These yeasts are similar in properties to those found in a sourdough starter, so kefir can be used make bread with no additional yeast or sourdough starter!
- 4 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Scant 2 cups milk kefir
- Mix flour and salt well in a large bowl. Pour in honey and 1½ cups milk kefir; mix well. Add additional milk kefir until dough is sticky but pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead 5-10 minutes or until dough is soft and smooth.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and ferment for 12-24 hours.
- Punch down. Place in a loaf pan, cover, and let rise in a warm place until it reaches the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done through and golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Ready to Bake More With Milk Kefir?