Simple Milk Kefir Yeast Bread
Kefir contains various strains of yeast. These yeasts are similar in properties to those found in a sourdough starter, so kefir can be used make bread with no additional yeast or sourdough starter!
- 4 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Scant 2 cups milk kefir
- Mix flour and salt well in a large bowl. Pour in honey and 1½ cups milk kefir; mix well. Add additional milk kefir until dough is sticky but pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead 5-10 minutes or until dough is soft and smooth.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and ferment for 12-24 hours.
- Punch down. Place in a loaf pan, cover, and let rise in a warm place until it reaches the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done through and golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Ready to Bake More With Milk Kefir?