Simple Cumin-spiked Cucumber Raita
Raita is an Indian antidote to the often spicy curries and other dishes of the region. The cooling effect of yogurt is a constant and in this recipe it pairs with cucumbers for a fresh crunch.
You can flavor raitas with all sorts of things – fresh mint or cilantro, chili peppers, warm spices – but in this one we keep it simple.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, and diced
- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt, as needed
- Place cucumbers in a colander over a bowl or sink and add salt. Allow to sit for several hours to draw the moisture out.
- Add drained cucumbers to a small bowl and mix in yogurt, cumin seeds, garlic or onion, and lemon juice. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Ready for More Cool Summer Recipes?