Shio Koji is a simple ferment that is wonderful to have on hand. Use it in place of salt in sauces and dressings. It also makes a wonderful meat marinade.
- Mix Brown rice koji and salt together in a quart jar. Add water and cover with a coffee filter or cloth, secured with a rubber band.
- Set in a warm spot (72-80ºF) to culture for 7-10 days.
- After 1-3 days, add more water to cover, as the dry koji rehydrates and swells.
- When the water is cloudy and the koji smells pleasant and reminiscent of soy sauce, cover with a tight lid and refrigerate.
- The koji will continue to age in the refrigerator, changing from a sharp, salty flavor to a mild, sweet flavor.
- If the koji develops a thick, leather mold on the surface, lift it off and discard. The Shio Koji will store for 3 months or more in the refrigerator.