- 1 pound ground breakfast pork sausage
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 14 ounces cooked, rinsed, and drained black eyed peas
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- Crushed red pepper
- Caraway seeds, about 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 16 ounces sauerkraut
- In a large skillet, brown sausage, leaving it in rather large chunks. Transfer the meat to a colander, saving the grease and replacing it into the pan. Cook the onion in the saved grease, just until browned.
- Combine sausage, potatoes, onion, peas, and tomato sauce in a large stockpot, adding just enough water to cover. Once it reaches a boil, add the seasonings and stir for 1 minute. (Go easy on the salt, as the sauerkraut will add some saltiness.)
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add more water if needed during the cooking time.
- Just before serving, add the sauerkraut and stir to combine.
Makes 14 to 16 servings.
Ready to learn more?