Lacto-fermented Garlic Scapes
These snappy scapes will quickly become a favorite finger food.
- 4 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 cups filtered water
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½-2 dozen fresh garlic scapes
- 4-5 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons whey or brine from a previous vegetable ferment
- Prepare brine by completely dissolving sea salt in water.
- To a quart-size jar, add the coriander, fennel, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cut the scapes to fit into a quart jar. Fill jar, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Using a butter knife, slide the dill sprigs in against the side of the jar.
- Pour in the starter and then fill the jar with the chilled brine, covering the scapes completely and leaving at least ½-inch headspace.
- Cover the jar with an airlock fermentation lid or a regular lid and ferment at room temperature for 3-4 days, or to taste.
- Once your scapes reach the desired level of fermentation, cap tightly and transfer to cold storage.
Ready to Learn More: