Simple Pea and Crème Fraîche Salad with Bacon
This salad is a wonderful combination of fresh, meaty, and rich flavors. You can make it in the spring with fresh peas from the garden, but frozen peas are a good stand-in.
- 2 pounds frozen peas
- 4 ounces thick-sliced bacon (not maple)
- 1 bunch whole scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- Zest of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Cook frozen peas according to package directions, until just cooked through and tender. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Fry bacon over low heat in a cast-iron skillet. Remove to cool. Fry the scallions for just a couple of minutes in the bacon grease. Remove and allow to cool.
- Toss peas, cooked bacon, scallions, crème fraîche, and lemon zest in a bowl with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve at room temperature.
Ready to Learn More?