These cookies are aromatic and delicious with a cheesy kick. Wait, savory cookies? Yes! Who says cookies have to be sweet? Parmesan cookies are the perfect treat for those watching their sugar intake.
- 1-1/3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, basil, cheese, and pepper. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Knead the mixture with your hands, rolling and mashing to blend, until it starts to come together into a dough.
- Roll the dough into a log about 8 inches long. Roll it into wax paper and chill for 8 hours in the refrigerator. (You can also freeze this log in a zipper-style bag for up to one month to defrost and bake later.)
- Take the chilled log out of the fridge and place on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. (If you are preparing to bake frozen dough, let it thaw for about 10 minutes before proceeding.)
- Cut the log of dough into 1/4-inch rounds and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Brush the cookies with the milk.
- Place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden-brown on the edges.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and use a spatula to move them to cooling racks. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Makes about 30 cookies.