Overnight Sourdough Breakfast Strata
A breakfast strata is a great way to use up day-old sourdough bread. It makes an easy meal you can throw together the night before, refrigerate, and bake in the morning.
To vary the taste and nutrition add bacon, sausage, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, or your favorite seasonal vegetables.
- 1 pound of leftover sourdough bread, cut into cubes (about 12 slices)
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart of whole milk or a combination of milk and cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter for greasing the pan and dotting the top
- Butter a 9x13-inch pan. Add bread cubes to pan, followed by shredded cheese.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add milk and whisk to combine. Add scallions, salt, and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Pour egg and milk custard over the bread cubes and dot with several tablespoons of butter. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap or aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until custard is set and top begins to brown.
Ready to Learn More?