Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Product was successfully added to your comparison list.
Naturally Cultured Pickles
- Pickling-style cucumbers, sliced
- Fresh garlic, chopped or minced
- Fresh or dried dill weed
- 3/4+ cup water
- One of the following:
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 cup whey
- Dissolve the salt in water then add the whey if using.
- Mix the cucumber slices, garlic, and dill together and place in a fermentation container. Pour the liquid over the vegetables. Ideally the vegetables should be submerged under the liquid.
- Ferment for 7 to 14 days or longer at room temperature. (If using a starter culture, follow the instructions that came with the culture to ensure adequate time for full bacteria development.)
Once the fermentation period is complete, the vegetables can be removed to a storage container if desired. Store cultured pickles in the refrigerator or root cellar.
Makes approximately 1 quart.
Click here for three tips for making crunchy lacto-fermented pickles.