Naturally Fermented Salsa
This salsa tastes so fresh and delicious, you'll never want to go back to salsa in a jar again.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1-2 jalepeños, diced
- Clove of garlic, minced
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Lemon and lime juice to taste
- One of the following:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons salt and ¼ cup whey
- 1-2 teaspoons salt and ¼ cup water kefir
- Mix all the ingredients together including the salt, whey, or finished kefir.
- Place the salsa in a fermentation container, pressing down to release some liquid. Ideally the vegetables should be submerged under the liquid. Add a bit of extra water if needed.
- Ferment for 2+ days at room temperature.
Once the fermentation period is complete, the salsa can be removed to a storage container and stored in the refrigerator or root cellar.
Makes approximately 1 quart.