- 10 medium or 3 large beets, cooked, skins removed, chopped or shredded
- 3/4 cup water
- One of the following:
- 1 tablepoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt and 1/4 cup whey
- A starter culture such as Body Ecology Starter Culture and salt as indicated by the instructions for the specific culture you are working with
- If using just salt or salt and whey, dissolve the salt in water then add the whey. If using a starter culture, prepare the liquid according to the package instructions.
- Place the beets in the jar and pour the liquid over the beets. Ideally the beets should be submerged under the liquid. Ferment for 3 to 10 days at room temperature.
- Once the fermentation period is complete, the beets can be removed to a storage container if desired. Store cultured beets in the refrigerator or root cellar.
Makes approximately one quart.