Naturally Cultured Carrot Relish
- 2 to 3 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/4 pound cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 to 2 tablespoons onion, finely grated
- Fresh (grated) or dried ginger to taste
- 3/4+ cup water
- One of the following:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt and 1/4 cup whey
- Dissolve the salt in water and then add the whey if using. Mix in the ginger.
- Mix the carrot slices, cabbage, and onion together and place in a fermentation container. Pour the liquid over the vegetables. Ideally the vegetables should be submerged under the liquid.
- Ferment for 3 to 14 days or longer at room temperature. (If using a starter culture, follow the instructions that came with the culture to ensure adequate time for full bacteria development.)
- Once the fermentation period is complete, the carrots can be removed to a storage container if desired. Store cultured carrots in the refrigerator or root cellar.
Makes approximately 1 quart.