The best tofu in the world is homemade tofu! Make your own delicious tofu with the Mitoku Home Tofu Kit. Handcrafted from the finest Japanese cypress wood, this kit has enough nigari to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu. One of the hidden benefits in making your own tofu is "okara," the solids that are left after the soy milk has been strained off. It is a very nutritious, high-fiber food, containing a significant amount of the protein content of the soybeans. Okara can be used for croquettes, fritters, okara crepes, vinegared or sauteed okara, or okara breads and muffins. And of course you'll have fresh tofu to simmer, grill, deep-fry, make tofu burgers and cutlets; tofu sauces, spreads, dips & dressings; chilled tofu shakes, smoothies, creams, and puddings.
- Handcrafted tofu box made from the finest Japanese cypress wood
- Wooden lid
- 100% cotton straining bag and pressing cloth
- 12 nigari packs (12.5ml liquid nigari in each pack): enough to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu
- Full English instructions
- Measures 6-1/2" length x 4 -3/4" width x 3-1/2" height
The beauty and fragrance of Japanese cypress wood or hinoki has been highly appreciated for centuries for its subtle fragrance, as well as for the beautiful appearance of the wood's natural grain. The distinctive aroma of Japanese cypress derives from a naturally occurring substance in the resin known in Japanese as "hinoki-jushi." This not only has a pleasing, refreshing aroma, but also has been recognized as possessing excellent natural antibiotic properties. Thus Japanese cypress has been used for many centuries in making all kinds of kitchen utensils, as well as drinking cups, an oke (Hinoki wooden pail), and even Japanese hot-tub-style baths.
Questions on Mitoku Home Tofu Kit
- From Cheryl at 4/12/13 12:16 PM
- Do I soak the tofu press in hot water and rice vinegar OVERNIGHT before its initial use?
- Yes; that will condition the wood and make sure it's clean. However, it's not essential - so if you have your soy milk all ready to strain and you forgot to season the press, it will still work. The soy milk will be wrapped in muslin anyway.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Adam at 7/1/12 10:41 AM
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
- Mitoku Home Tofu Kit Review by Silkweaver
Price Value Quality
- firstname.lastname@example.org Review by Brett Leone
Value Quality Price