For semi-soft and fresh cheeses including Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Feta, Chevre, etc.
Eight packets of direct-set culture. Use as directed by your recipe or at the following rate: 1 packet per gallon of milk, 2 packets per 2-5 gallons, or 4 packets per 5-10 gallons.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
What is a Direct-Set culture? Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Questions on Mesophilic Direct Set Culture
Items 11 to 11 of 11 total
- From Miranda at 2/6/13 4:00 AM
- I'm unable to get raw milk on Oahu. Is it possible to make a soft cheese with this culture from pasteurized, homogenized milk ("store-bought" milk from the cold dairy case)?
- This culture will work well with store-bought homogenized, pasteurized milk however, ultra pasteurized (UP) or ultra high temp (UHT) milk would be problematic.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
- Mesophilic culture Review by Auggie
Price Value Quality
Starter cultures, rennet for cheese making and cultured vegetables, juices and condiments are sensitive to excessive heat. Once your order has shipped, an e-mail with tracking information will be sent to you. We encourage you to use the tracking information to anticipate the arrival of your items so they can be removed from the mail box and stored in the refrigerator promptly.