Use this versatile mesophilic cheese culture to make flavorful semi-soft and fresh cheeses at home! From Cheddar, Colby, and Monterey Jack to Feta, Chèvre, and more, you'll enjoy the flavor and variety of homemade cheeses using this starter culture.
- Each box contains 8 packets of direct-set starter culture.
- Store extra packets in the freezer.
- Use as directed by your recipe or at the following rate: 1 packet per gallon of milk, 2 packets per 2-4 gallons, or 4 packets per 5-10 gallons.
- Heat milk and culture according to temperatures outlined in your recipe.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Having trouble making cheese? Browse our Expert Advice Articles on Cheesemaking or contact us for assistance!
Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Ingredients
- Sucrose, Maltodextrins, Lactic bacteria (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris)
Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Allergen Information
- This product is manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing soy and dairy.
Shipping Information and Shelf Life
Our Mesophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture is dehydrated and shipped in a barrier-sealed packet. The starter keeps:
- At room temperature (68° to 78°F): 3 to 4 weeks
- In the refrigerator (40° to 45°F): 6 to 12 months
- In the freezer (0° to 25°F): 12+ months
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.