A mesophilic starter culture used for specialty cheeses, sour cream and cultured butter including goat milk cheese, Havarti, Gouda, Baby Swiss, Edam, Blue Cheese, etc.
10 gram packet
Usage rate: Soft and fresh cheeses, 50 grams per 100 liters milk. Please note, the usage rate is supplied by the manufacturer. Always use the amount of culture required by your specific recipe. This is a direct-set culture.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
- (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
- Contains lactose as a carrier
What is a Direct-Set culture? Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Questions on Mesophilic Aromatic Type B Starter Culture
- From Sandra at 3/22/13 1:54 PM
- What is the shelf life of these cultures in the freezer? Is there a possibility of cross contamination if more than one culture is kept in the same freezer? If so, how can we prevent this from happening? Thank you!
- The powdered culture should last 12 months in the freezer. The culture should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge which would eliminate the risk of cross contamination.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
Video Testimonials & Reviews
Upload your video
Starter cultures, rennet for cheese making and cultured vegetables, juices and condiments are sensitive to excessive heat. Once your order has shipped, an e-mail with tracking information will be sent to you. We encourage you to use the tracking information to anticipate the arrival of your items so they can be removed from the mail box and stored in the refrigerator promptly.