Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Sour Cream and Cultured Butter
This makes an amazing Thanksgiving side dish, and doesn’t require gravy. Just some more butter does the trick!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- A few tablespoons kefir or fresh milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cultured butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook them for about 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain water.
- Mash the potatoes in the pot and make sure there are no lumps before transferring them to a serving bowl. It helps to use a ricer or similar tool to ensure smoothness.
- Add the sour cream and butter to the potatoes. If the consistency is too thick for your liking, add the milk or kefir to thin them out. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with more butter.
Makes 6 servings.