Four different cheeses come together to transform this traditional family favorite into a gourmet treat for all ages.
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour (any type)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley flakes or 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a 3-quart saucepot over low heat. Stir in flour, seasoned salt, and white pepper. Stir continuously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir milk into seasoned butter mixture, and place the pot back over low heat. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil while you stir, and allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Using a whisk, stir in the sharp cheddar, Gruyère, and cubed cream cheese into the hot butter/flour mixture. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Begin adding the cooked and drained pasta into the cheese sauce, stirring gently. Spoon the pasta and cheese sauce into a greased 8x8-inch glass dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Bake mac and cheese uncovered in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Ready to Learn More?