This is an easy recipe, and tends to be a favorite with kids!
- 1/4 cup organic evaporated cane crystals (or white sugar)
- 3-1/2 cups of water
- Water kefir grains or kefir starter culture
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Ginger root, 1-inch piece peeled and sliced into sticks
- Heat a small amount of the water and dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the remaining water. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Add the kefir grains or kefir starter culture. Lightly cover the container and let it sit on the counter for two days to culture.
- Once the mix has cultured, strain out the finished water kefir. (If using kefir grains, be sure to place the kefir grains in fresh sugar water immediately.) Add the lemon juice and the ginger root.
- Cover lightly and allow the mixture to sit for 2 to 3 days to ferment. Refrigerate before drinking (tastes best cold).
If desired, a small amount of fruit juice can be added for additional flavor just prior to drinking. We do not recommend adding this additional juice and allowing the mixture to ferment further as it will often yield an overly fermented-tasting beverage.