Whether you're avoiding dairy, or cannot consume it altogether, sometimes it's tricky to consume your favorite foods.
That doesn't have to be the case with yogurt.
- Measure 1 cup of almond milk and add pectin powder. Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, slowly heat the remaining almond milk, with the calcium water added, to 140ºF .
- Add reserved almond milk/pectin mixture. Return to 140ºF. Remove from heat.
- Cool to 110ºF. Sprinkle vegan yogurt starter over the milk and stir well.
- Pour into a clean 1-quart glass jar and cover with a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band, or pour into yogurt maker container and follow manufacturer's instructions for covering the containers.
- Incubate for 6-8 hours at 105º-112ºF. The longer the yogurt incubates, the tangier it will be.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
To make 2 quarts non-dairy yogurt, use 3-4 teaspoons pectin powder, and 3-4 teaspoons calcium water with 1 packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter.
*Each box of Pomona's Universal Pectin includes pectin and a separate packet of monocalcium phosphate.
Ready to Learn More?