Raita is a kind of East Indian salad that pairs well with curries or any spicy dish. It is traditionally made with only cucumbers, but this version adds a lot of versatility. It can also be eaten alone or served over meats and vegetables. Try some over scrambled eggs for a probiotic-rich breakfast treat.
- Taste the diced cucumber to see if it is at all bitter. If so, sprinkle it with 1 tsp. of salt and set aside for 20 minutes to drain out some of the bitter juices. Rinse before using.
- Yogurt should be thick. If necessary, drain whey to thicken.
- Mix chopped tomato and cucumber together. Stir in chopped herbs and garlic; sprinkle in cumin and salt, then stir together until combined.
- Fold in Greek yogurt and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds just before serving.