Lassi is a simple beverage made from yogurt and water or ice, with sweet or savory ingredients added. Mango lassi is well-known and is simply the sweeter version of lassi combined with the mango fruit.
Lassi most likely originated from the need for a cooling, restorative beverage in the Indian heat. Adding a pinch of salt to your sweet or savory lassi will aid in keeping you hydrated
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup ice water
- 3 Tbsp. sugar (sweet lassi)
- Fruit puree, jam, herbs, or extracts for flavorings (sweet lassi)
- Salt to taste (savory lassi)
- Flavorings such as minced chili, cilantro, mint, or cumin (savory lassi)
- Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a quart jar. Shake well for 1 to 2 minutes, until beverage is frothy and cold. Serve immediately.