Sometimes in early summer there are more green tomatoes to be had than red tomatoes, and there is no better solution than this super simple recipe.
- 5 small green tomatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil or lard
- Thinly slice tomatoes. Place on a plate, and set aside.
- On another plate, mix flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Spoon yogurt onto a third plate.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil until it pops when water is flicked into it.
- Begin breading the tomato slices by dipping them first in the yogurt, then in the flour mixture.
- Use tongs to slip breaded tomatoes into hot oil, adjusting the temperature if needed. Once the breading on the tomatoes begins to turn golden, turn them, cook for 2 more minutes, and then remove from pan. Place the cooked tomato slices on a paper-towel lined plate to drain and cool.
- Salting the tomato slices a little more while they cool will make the breading crispier.