Working with non-dairy milks can be a bit tricky and some brands of ingredients may work better than others. This recipe was tested using Native Forest and Natural Value brands of coconut milk and Great Lakes brand gelatin.
NOTE: To make a smaller batch of non-dairy yogurt, use 2 cans coconut milk and 1½ teaspoons gelatin with 1 full packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter.
- Heat coconut milk to 115ºF.
- Remove one cup of coconut milk.
- Sprinkle gelatin into this cup slowly while mixing well.
- Add back to the rest of the coconut milk and mix well.
- Cool to 110ºF, then add culture. Mix well.
- Pour into a clean jar and cover with a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band, or pour into yogurt maker container and follow manufacturer's instructions for covering the containers.
- Culture at 108ºF for 6 to 8 hours.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.