Make delicious elderberry syrup and use it to flavor water kefir or your favorite fermented beverage.
- ½ cup dried elderberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1-2 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 cup raw honey
- 3-4 cups water kefir, grains removed
- Heat elderberries, water, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer until water reduces by half.
- Cool and strain solids from the liquid.
- Stir in honey.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of the elderberry syrup to finished water kefir. Pour into airtight bottles.
- Ferment at room temperature for up to 72 hours, or until desired flavor and carbonation is achieved.
- Store in the refrigerator. Open carefully in case of extreme carbonation and serve chilled.