What could be better on a cold morning than a warm-from-the-oven sourdough muffin? Use this basic recipe as a canvas for various flavorings from fruit and nuts to chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 4-6 Tbsp. water, as needed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit or nuts (optional)
- The night before, gently mix together starter and flour until just combined. Add water , 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough is just wet enough to mix.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out. Ferment 8-12 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk in all other ingredients, being careful not to overmix. The dough may be quite stiff at first and may require breaking up with the back of a spoon.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full with batter and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.