These muffins are sure to be a lunchbox favorite. With whole-grain goodness and a hint of sweetness they make up quickly if you have fresh sourdough starter on hand.
- 1/2 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup fresh, whole milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Line 12 to 14 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix sourdough starter, apple butter, and milk in a large bowl. Stir in honey, egg, and melted butter.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Pour over sourdough mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in chopped nuts. Do not over-mix.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes, until tops are firm and golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with butter and additional apple butter for spreading. These are best served the same day they are made, but they freeze well for longer storage.