This is a simple bread that can be made with no special equipment aside from a long, narrow pan. Rich and tangy, rugbrød is delicious paired with a slice of aged cheese and some lacto fermented veggies.
- 1 cup rye sourdough starter
- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup seeds of your choice - sunflower seeds, almonds, millet, amaranth and rye berries are all delicious options!
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Rye bread does not require kneading, so this can easily be done with a wooden spoon or heavy spatula.
- Cover bowl with a towel or other clean, tight-weave cloth and let sit for 12-24 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Spoon dough into a Rugbrød pan, or suitable long, narrow pan (approximately 4” x 12”).
- Use wet hands to smooth the surface of the bread, then let rise for 1-3 hours, or until dough reaches the top of the pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack, and store in a bread bag.