This flavorful sourdough is wonderful with cultured butter, and the bottom crust of the bread relays the most delicious cheesy toasted taste.
- 1½ cup active sourdough starter
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. yeast
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. salt
- 5 cups unbleached flour
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ⅓ cup sliced black olives
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rise in a greased and covered bowl until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Gently divide dough in half and shape into two round or oval loaves on a large greased baking sheet. Slash the tops and cover with a towel.
- Place the pan in a warm place for about an hour or until almost doubled in size. About halfway through this hour-long rising, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Use a mister to lightly spray the loaves with warm water. Dust with flour for an artisan look.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust turns deep brown and the inner temperature reaches 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a rack.